Beer Sheva is the capital of the Negev.
The name of the city of Beersheba is translated either as "The Well of Seven" or as "The Well of Oath". Abraham dug a well here from which he watered his flocks. At this well Abraham and King Abimelech vowed to alliance with each other. This well has survived to this day and is a tourist attraction.
North-west of the city is the hill of Tel-Sheva, where there are ruins of an ancient settlement.
The place where the city is located is an important traffic junction. Throughout history, there have been battles: here fought the Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders. In the 13th century the settlement in this place disappeared and began to revive only in the beginning of the 20th century, during the time of the Turks.
In 1917, the British under the command of General Allenby occupied the city. Beer Sheva was conquered by Israel in the War of Independence.
The first inhabitants of Beer Sheva after the War of Independence were demobilized soldiers. In 1949 it was inhabited by 200 people.
Since 1950, the population began to grow rapidly due to new immigrants sent to the restored city. This growth stabilized in the 70s, but the last aliya of the 90s gave him a new push.
There is a Ben-Gurion University in Beersheba, many other educational institutions and a Soroca hospital.
Kikar Menahem Begin 1
Tel. 08-6463777, 08-6463890
The National Insurance Institute of Israel ("Bituah Leumi"):
Tel. *6050, 12226050
Israeli Employment Service ("Lishkat Taasuka"):
The Ministry of Interior ("Misrad ha-Pnim"):
Israel Tax Authority:
Sderot Shazar 31
Tel. 08-6293555, 08-6293525, Fax. 08-6293528
Sderot Shazar 31
Tel. 08-6293333, 08-6293384, Fax. 08-6230115
Sderot Shazar 1
Tel. 08-6293555, 08-6293642, Fax. 08-6230184
Israel Ministry of Construction and Housing:
Israel Ministry of Tourism:
Derech Hevron 1
Soroka Medical Center
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
Tel. 08-6461111, 09-6461600
City streets and attractions near the city:Negev
(in straight line):
|to Jerusalem - ||70 km|
|to Tel Aviv - ||91 km|
|to Haifa - ||174 km|